Tuesday 26 April 2011

Personal project. Black Ogrun

IN amongst painting for everyone else, I do find some time to paint my own stuff. With the Welsh open in less than ten days time, I wanted an entry for the single figure at least (best painted army might be beyond my grasp this year, depends on work over the next few days).

I'm also attending the ETC as part of "Team Paint", working on a pirate themed Cryx army.So a model that would be part of both events wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've had this guy 90% done for weeks now, but finally found the time to finish him off.
One thing I did since my earlier photos was glaze all his skin (apart form the face). I had gone a bit too far with my highlighting and it didn't look natural enough. A few very thin glazes of the original skin tone mellowed that out nicely. I'm going to investigate the effect glazing will have on my work a bit more going forward, usually I just throw a GW wash on and have done with it, but for display quality, this seems to be a bit smoother and avoids any glossing issues.

I also used some graded washing on the weapon to give it some colour. Both for the rust and the shadows. This might be the breakthrough I needed to improve my jacks. I have a ripjaw on my desk for practice (I own six of the little buggers now)  so he might get some paint love soon, perhaps as a warm up for Malice.

So here is the leader of the Black Ogrun (or monkey pirates as I call them)
Picture isn't great, I don't get enough light in my room at the moment. I need to invest in a proper light setup. Anyone want to take out some commissions so I can afford some better lights? 

2 comments:

Mugu said...

I really like your pirate monkeys :) I was going to go with a dark grey skin tone with mine, though mainly 'cause I'd never seen any I like with a lighter flesh tone, but I may have to try one out now that I've seen yours. I wish you had some closups of the different areas of the model. I'm looking forward to see how the rest of the models turn out in the unit.

Jon Webb said...

Hi Mugu,

I had planned on the classic grey or black skin tone, but then I was reading the merc book and looking at the pirates and thought "why not".
There will probably be at least one in the unit with a variant skin tone. Give them that pirate look.

I will try to do some better pics and a stage by stage in the near future. Working through the last bits of a tourney force for next weekend then its back onto the pirates for the ETC.

Thanks for checking out my blog.