Saturday 19 January 2013

[Personal Work] Tiny men in massive hats.

It may have come to your attention that I have done hardly any painting so far this year. To be honest, I haven't done any serious painting since October I think. Which is a worry. This is partly down to fatigue, and partly down to me trying to get stuff built and boxed up rather than just painting one or two models a month.

Good news is I am down to my last Nyss before the unit is fully assembled. I have had none of the issues people have described when it comes to building these guys. Guess its because I have pinned every joint and part on each model to make them easy to hand and hopefully durable. I need to do a little greenstuffing before painting to mask some of the neck gaps (thinking furry collars). I've managed to get two games in with them so far. Pretty impressed with their shotting, but its amazing how not that impressive POW 9 weapon masters really are. Guess I am spoiled by Banes (who knew). Still, they are there to shoot over most other things so I am happy with the unit.

As part of my efforts to get back in to painting, I decided to do something a little different to warm up and relax myself. I have been a massive fan of Epic since I became aware of wargaming as a thing. Indeed, my first memory of GW came before I have ever even stepped foot in there, seeing a poster of an Imperator Titan as I walked bast a store and being blown away by the sight of a castle on legs. It just looked cool.

I have two Epic armies these days, Orks and Guard. The Orks were one of those forces you accidentally end up owning, but the Guard are my passion. Epic is the only scale that really lets you play the guard as they should be, masses of grunts, waves of tanks and a titan or two backing them up. Not to mention the air support swooping in and strafing the unwitting enemy.

When it came to choosing a colour scheme for my guard, I had every intention of going for the Valhallans in their classic white and green piebald scheme. But just before starting the army I was gripped by a madness and decided that Vostroyans were the way forward. Not only that, but I decided sculpting hats on 6mm models was a really good idea...

I am going to dig up my force and put some photos up shortly, but to keep you reading, here is a shot of the Fire Support Team that I have just finished. I love 6mm scale (people always say it seems hard to paint, not at all, the details are so small that you can get some amazing results pretty simply).



The hats are not perfect, but on mass they look pretty effective, as I hope I can show soon.

Hope you like them.

Till next time.
 

No comments: